How to beat the winter blues
Being in the middle of possibly yet another lockdown and it being this time of year, where the days are long and dark. Our activities may be limited due to rules and laws around Covid measures have been increased. In addition to this, some people are unable to work. All of these factors can induce boredom, loneliness and feelings of lack of purpose. Because of these factors it can be easy to slip into sadness and possibly even depression.
But it is up to each of us to lift ourselves and others out of this and find things to do, for instance; ways to self care and improve wellbeing and encourage and uplift one another.
I compiled, for you, a list of resources, articles, suggestions, items and activities for you to access in order to do just this.
12 ways to beat the winter blues
- Biblical Meditation– Free resource on ‘how to practice Biblical Meditation’
- Eat Well– Recipe book to eat well for less.
- Finding Joy During Lockdown -includes mood boosting and self- care ideas.
- Get outside– Where possible, experience the outdoors, go for a walk, sit in the garden, if it’s cold, wrap up warm. Click this link to see the benefits of this.
- Mood boosting worship songs playlist or any other positive music you enjoy or that helps you to relax or lift you up.
- Read– the word of God. Immersing yourself in the word, will help you to turn your focus around and onto Him.
- Resource Page– Extensive list of resources to help you with faith, mental health and wellbeing.
- SAD lamp– I bought myself one of these a few years ago, they are amazing for those dark days your stuck indoors. The light generated from it fills your room with “daylight” that helps to lift your mood and energy levels and can even help you sleep.
- Spring clean/ declutter– This can help not only the physical look to your home but it can also help to clear your mind too.
- Winter blues: Everything you need to know to beat Seasonal Affective Disorder. Book, explaining exactly how to beat the winter blues
Fellowship– Socialising may be hard in this climate (in more ways than one!) but relationship is important for our mental wellbeing. Feel free to join our community in this private facebook group (Mindful of Christ-Improving Mental Health) where amongst the topics of faith & mental health we encourage, uplift and pray for one another.
Do you have any other tips to help others in beating the winter blues? Share in the comments below.
Want or need additional help? Click below for your FREE coaching call.
6 thoughts on “How to Beat the Winter Blues”
Very motivating. I am really missing summer.
Thank u. yes those summer evenings are just so lovely. x
Great post! Winter can be so hard, but these are wonderful suggestions. I’ve always wanted to try the lamp, maybe I’ll finally get one haha
Brilliant, i do reccommend it. Feel free to let us know back here, how u get on with it. x
I didn’t know a SAD lamp was a thing, that is awesome. I am going to look into this for myself. I like how it helps lift your mood on those days when there is no sunlight coming through for days at a time. Thank you for the tips.
Yes, wld definately recommend it. Feel free to comment back here how u get on. x