Is this all there is in life?
Whats the point in all this?
Whats my purpose?
Has God got any plans for me or do we just have to get through each day?
These are just a few questions we might find ourselves or hear others asking. But if we have a look a Romans 8 we can see that God has a point, purpose & plans for every single one of us.
Read through the chapter then have a look at the points after.
1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God. 9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. 12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. 14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. 15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “ Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. 18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. 22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. 26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. 31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:1-39 NIV
How to become more than conquerors
Gods point, purpose and plans for our lives can be discovered when we live according to Romans 8. As you’ve read it shows us how to live life through the Spirit, how to deal with suffering, focus on His glory and become more than conquerors. But below is a summary to take and hold on to.
- (V2) In Freedom- He has given us this freedom from sin and death. We aren’t bound by chains of death, sin and guilt, through God’s grace, and particularly importantly- knowing this in your heart and mind, we are FREE. (V21-3) We may groan and moan inside about life and this earth but we can be assured by the fruits of the spirit (His gifts to and for us) of our redemption and freedom.
- (V4) Righteously- He has given us the gift of His Spirit and He just asks of us to live by the Spirit and not what our flesh might want. By living with the Holy Spirit according to God’s word, we aren’t bound we are free in life and can truly experience His peace, despite what the world might chuck our way!
- (V14) Holy Spirit- We don’t have to live in fear. We are and can be led and guided through life by the Holy Spirit.
- (V17) With God, our Father- We are adopted by him, God is our Father. Though we will share in His suffering but remember we will also share in His glory in heaven and in with the peace from the Holy Spirit on this earth.
- (V25-7) With hope and patience- Waiting for His glory we can use the strength of the Spirit when we are weak. The Spirit steps in when we need Him too, according to God’s will.
- (V28-31) With his purpose and calling- And by living in His Spirit we are destined, called, justified and glorified according to His Will and purpose. So by listening to him His plan and calling for our lives will be revealed! How exciting is that?!?
- (V31- 4) More than Conquerors- Whatever it feels like we are up against, know this- God is with us. God gave up Jesus for YOU. But now He is alive again, he will intercede for us too!
- (V37-9) Even more than conquerors- Through our Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit we can conquer through our time on this earth. And NOTHING can separate us from His love.
Click the image below to read on how to conquer trials like Job did.
Any examples, testimonies on how you have become more than a conqueror? Feel free to share in the comments to encourage one another.
6 thoughts on “Becoming more than conquerors”
Romans 8 is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing.❤
You did such a great job explaining these verses!! Thank you
thank you for your lovely comment. Blessings x
I have found praying and fasting to be one of the best ways to get through a situation. I seem to have big issues that require lots of spiritual warfare!
Bless you. Will be praying for you. anything specific? Feel free to drop me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org x
Great post! When God is on our side there is nothing that can come against us. We must surrender all to Him and we will be VICTORIOUS