In 2017, 284 million people reported having anxiety*1, these figures do not include those who don’t report their struggles with anxiety, making the total number much higher than that above!
Are you one of those?
Have you ever experienced symptoms of anxiety?
I’m not going to beat around the bush but get straight to the point! You’re probably here because you want to know how to deal with anxiety. Wether for yourself or for someone else. Right?
Immediate Help For Anxiety
- Breathing! This may be easier said than done. But when you’re in the midst of anxiety it’s because you are not in control and so taking control of what you can, your breathing for instance, is key. Try Square breathing: Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, breathe out for 4 seconds, hold for four seconds, repeat!
- Worship music or listen to a favourite song (choose before the onset and have easy access to it) then when you feel an attack coming on, get it playing.
- Move. Go for a run or walk (if possible) or move your legs, arms or any part of your body, pick a movement & concentrate on doing it.
- Call someone you trust (again, ask them before the onset, so they are aware in advance) If this isn’t possible, record an audio, E.g., on your phone .
- Write/ Journal. Get your thoughts and feelings out on paper. Or simply draw or doodle.
- Use a relaxation app, or check out some Biblical meditations here.
Long term Help for Anxiety
- Talking therapy– for instance Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Christian Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Medication– Anti- anxiety or anti depressants (See your G.P/ doctor)
- Support groups (in your area or online-use a search engine to find these)
- Recognising your triggers.
- Stress Management Techniques (click link below)
What the Bible Says About Anxiety
Apparently, the Holy Bible says to “fear not” or “do not be afraid” 365 times! Thats a lot! in fact one for every day of the year! We could take this to mean that every day we do not need to worry or be anxious. We are to give God our worries and then to let go of them that means to not hang on them after we’ve given them to Him. Imagine having a bag of rocks that you’re carrying. Now turn to Jesus, as He is walking next to you and hand each of these rocks (saying what each of them are- your individual worries) and literally hand them over to Him. You’re not going to cling on to these rocks are you? Let go of them and give them to Him. Let Jesus take them away from you. It is done. It is finished. Just as He said it was on the cross.
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7
Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
It’s not easy to begin with but with prayer, practice & repetition we can learn to turn our worries and anxiety around. If you need and additional help with this then book your free call with me now so we can see if and how I can help you.
3 thoughts on “Dealing With Anxiety”