Giving Ourselves What We Need
Every day is different. The good, the bad and perhaps neutral or even mundane! But what if you want more than that? What if you want everyday to be great? To feel great? To be great? What if, adding a simple morning routine to your day could do this?
What if I say you can. Well, there are a few things that you can do that can help to improve your days.
The different needs we have are;
(There are others, but we’re focussing on these today)
By addressing and fulfilling these needs we can improve our well- being, therefore boosting our mood.
You can address these needs all before you even start your day by adding them to your morning routine and then, your day should become better, improved, even blessed!
Morning Routine Habits
- Meditate– Before doing anything, even getting out of bed! Prop up the pillows, sit up and spend as long as you can manage. I suggest 10-15mins. For advice on how to practice meditation click HERE (You can also get weekly posts sent to you from us)
- Pray/ Think- You still don’t even need to move. Take a moment to realise how you are feeling right now in the moment. What you have in store for the day and think about how your going to do each part. If you have faith of any kind, then spend some time praying. Offer your emotions and needs to God and submit everything to Him. Then offer thanks. Tell Him everything you are grateful for, or even just 3 things. Ask for His guidance and protection on you and your loved ones for the day ahead. Most importantly, ask Him that His will is done in your life. Again, spend as much time as you can manage here.
- Drink- Make sure you rehydrate yourself. Get and drink a full glass of water. Your body will thank you for it!
- Exercise- Now this isn’t the most easiest thing to do especially if your not a morning person and struggle for energy first thing (I can relate to that!). But see how your body is doing. If you can manage a full body workout or a run, then go for it! Or just want to do some muscle work, toning or building up, then go for that. Or some simple stretches. Anything between 10 mins to an hour would help to build up strength, balance, tone and release endorphins which will help to boost mood. (N.b If you do muscle work, alternate the days to give them a chance to restore, relax and refresh).
- Eat- You’ve probably heard numerous times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You know what? It actually is! If you can’t manage much opt for a banana or a smoothie, even a yoghurt. Or something a bit more substantial E.g. Eggs or beans. Either way, don’t miss it!
6. Bonus tip! Music- Whilst exercising, stretching, eating breakfast and getting ready for the day whack some tunes on! You can choose any music you fancy, but make sure it’s positive, uplifting and mood boosting. I love blasting worship music and singing along. Singing is also a great mood boost (and you don’t even have to be good at it!)
Now you’re ready for your shower and to start your day. This might seem a lot especially if you have young children you’ve got to get to school and you’ve got to get to work. But at the minimum these 5 steps can be done in just 20-30mins. But I tell you what, set the alarm slightly earlier than usual (Yes, you may groan!) but trust me, it’s worth it!
But I just challenge you to try this morning routine just once and decide for yourself whether it makes your day any better.
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments below, how you get on.
For more on ‘Improving well- being’ click HERE